It was a scene right off of a World War II-era brick wall. Two eyes and a nose peeking over a scribed line. In my head was a tag scribbled above declaring “KILROY WAS HERE” in bold, miss-aligned letters.

I’m referring, of course, to the graffiti icon made popular in the first half of the century. The one that we inadvertently reenacted this past Tuesday…

If you attended the 2017 Roll Out event we recently hosted in Albany NY, you heard about many of the great new features in SOLIDWORKS 2017. Unfortunately, all you saw of us was a nose and eyes. Tethered behind our monitors, we had little option but to hide our handsome faces. It was as I took this picture of Franco and Derek kicking off the event I realized our blunder…

Derek was struggling to do his best giraffe impersonation while he presented and Franco was pulling a “Kilroy.” We always try to be as lively as possible and scoot out from behind our machines whenever possible. However, it’s tough to demo when you’re not at the computer!

On our way home, we decided to whip up a small monitor stand to lower and tilt the monitor out of the way.

When we got back to the office, I pulled out the tape measure and mocked up our monitors in SOLIDWORKS. As I worked through the model I realized how much I absolutely love the alt+select profile shortcut new for 2017. With the monitor quickly modeled, I pulled it into an assembly so I could estimate the angle.

I mated the Right Planes coincident, set the bottom edge coincident with the Top Plane, and made the assembly origin coincident to the bottom edge.

This allowed me to rotate the monitor back and forth to find an angle I thought would work. I chose an angle of around 25 degrees. This would lean the monitor back in order to lower it more and make it easier to view. I created a new part from within the assembly for the leg shape using a top-down assembly design approach. This allowed me to easily reference the back of the monitor and the ground angle.

Once I created the leg shape, I saved the part externally and created the center block using the same technique. From there I was able to copy the first leg and create a sub assembly from the stand components. If I had a couple of days I may have made a more interesting shape and put it on the CNC. However, with only a couple of hours to get them built, time was of the essence so we kept it simple.

We had spare pieces of MDF laying around so I wanted to cut the stands from that. I made a quick drawing from my parts and printed them out to create templates for the leg shapes as well as bolt pattern. I zipped them out of MDF with my inverted jig saw table since that was the easiest tool to drag to the office. After making a mess in the parking lot, I screwed them together and we hit them with a touch of spray paint.

The result ended up working well! We can now see, and be seen, as we present this year’s awesome content!

It seems only fitting that an issue in presenting SOLIDWORKS 2017 would be solved by using SOLIDWORKS 2017!

Tags: , , ,