With the recent release of SOLIDWORKS 2015 comes the process of upgrading your machines. If your licenses are on a network, it will be necessary to first upgrade the SolidNetwork (SNL) Manager prior to upgrading the client machines. Updating the SNL Manager allows clients to access the latest, as well as any previous, entitled versions of your SOLIDWORKS products.
How to Upgrade your SNL Manager:
- Locate Installation Media (Download or disk).
- Ensure no licenses are borrowed.
- Transfer existing license.
- Install the new version.
- Activate the new SNL Manager.
- Test the Server
If you follow these steps, the upgrade process should be quick and easy.
Step 1. Locate Installation Media (Download or Disk)
The installer for the SNL Manager is part of the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager, which is used to install a majority of the SOLIDWORKS products. For detailed steps on how to locate and download the latest files for installation, please see our blog: HOW TO: Download the Latest SOLIDWORKS Software.
Step 2. Ensure No Licenses are Borrowed
It is important to ensure that no licenses are borrowed prior to upgrading the SNL Manager. If any licenses are borrowed, request that the user return them. Additionally, it is recommended that all users exit SOLIDWORKS during the upgrade.
Step 3. Transfer Existing License
Transfer the license activation by launching the SNL Manager on the server machine. Select the Server Administration Tab > Modify and then choose Transfer License. If you don’t know your serial number, be sure to write this down because you may need it during installation.
Step 4. Install New Version
- Using the installation media, launch the installation.
- Choose the Server Products radial button and check the box for Upgrade SolidNetwork License Manager. Click Next.
3. If prompted, enter your SolidNetwork License serial number(s). Use a comma between serial numbers if entering multiple. Click Next and then select Install.
Step 5. Activate the New SNL Manager
Once installed, you will have to activate the SNL Manager to ensure that all of the latest licenses which you are entitled to have been successfully added.
- Launch the SolidWorks SolidNetwork License Manager from the Start Menu.
- If not prompted to activate, go to the Server Administration Tab, choose Modify, and then Activate/Reactivate. Take note of the server name and port number. It should not have changed because you are using the same server. If there is a fire wall on the server, be sure to check the box and leave the default port number. Click Next.
- You will be asked if you want to update over the internet or through email. It is recommended that you choose automatically over the internet.
- Once the process has completed, a dialog box will appear with the result Activation/Reactivation Succeeded. Click Finish.
Step 6. Test the Server
Check to see that the client machines are able to obtain a license. If there are connectivity issues, ensure that the server has been added to the client machine.
Additional Connectivity Tests:
- First, verify the SNL Manager is started, and check the License Usage tab to make sure there are free licenses available.
- Next, on the client side, click Start/Programs/SolidWorks <year>/SolidWorks Tools/SolidNetwork License Administrator.
- Check the License Usage tab there to see if SolidWorks acknowledges the fact there are free licenses.
If there are no free licenses, check the TCP/IP connectivity between the client and server. There are two tests that must be run to verify this. First, open a DOS prompt on the client machine and perform the following:
- Type ping <server_name> A message must be received informing that the ping is successful.
- Telnet <server_name> <port_number> where <port_number> is the port being used by the SNL Manager. The default port value is 25734. If the connection was successful, the DOS prompt will go blank showing only a blinking cursor.
Both of these tests must pass. If either one or both fail, there is not sufficient TCP/IP connectivity between the client and the server for a SolidNetwork License Environment to function correctly.
If you find that you are having trouble with the upgrade process, don’t hesitate to contact us for support.